Frequently Asked Questions

Processed with VSCO with 4 preset

Q: What is the difference between an “Undergraduate” and a “Graduate” degree?

A: Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

Q: What’s the difference between a college and a university?

A: Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well, but the terms are often used interchangeably.

Q: How can I find out if my institution is accredited?

A: Search the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Post-secondary Education website to see if an institution is accredited.

Q: What are some ways to help pay for college?

A: Get help paying for college. By submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Apply for scholarships! You will be amazed at how many there are. The majority of scholarships consider your grades, talent or service. Best of all, you don’t have to pay them back.

College Work Studies. Work study is another form of federal financial aid that allows undergraduates to earn money for college through a part-time position on campus. Students get a bi-weekly paycheck working an average of 15 hours a week

Q: What is FAFSA and do I have to complete it every year?

A: FAFSA is an acronym for “Free Application for Federal Student Aid.” It’s a form that can be prepared by current and prospective college students (undergraduate and graduate) in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid.

Yes, you will need to fill out the FAFSA each school year because your eligibility for financial aid can differ from year to year for various reasons, including your financial situation and the number of family members enrolled in college. If you filled out a FAFSA last year and want to renew it, go to, click “Login” and be sure to select “FAFSA Renewal.”

Q: How will I know how to get around campus?

A: Within a few days before classes start, you’ll notice a lot of walking tours around campus. When you are at new student registration or orientation, find out when and where campus tours start and get an understanding of how the campus is laid out. Don’t hesitate to ask questions! And lastly, a day prior to class starting go for a “dry run.” A dry run is when you walk around campus early to find out where all your classrooms are located.

Q: Can I get college credit for military training or for college classes I’ve already taken?

A: This depends on several factors — for example, the college you’re applying to, the military training you’ve received and the college courses you’ve taken which varies from college to college. So, it’s important to contact an admission counselor at the college you’re interested in to find out their policy.

Q: As a veteran, do I have to meet the same requirements as regular freshmen or transfer students?

A: Yes. Although most colleges have an on campus Veterans Affairs (VA) department, make sure to talk to an admission counselor at the schools you are interested in. This will help make sure you understand what is required of all incoming students.

Q: If I previously served in the military how do I get started on using my Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits?

A: Applying is easy. Click here to begin your application process through VA.

Have More questions about the Post- 9/11 GI-Bill and Montgomery Benefits? Please check out our blogs or click here for commonly asked questions.  Our Higher Learning VA Specialist Audriana Hairston may be contacted for additional guidance.